Satellite Operations Technician
Work Location: Houston, TX
The Satellite Operations Technician will provide shift-based 7x24x365 Tier 1 and Tier 2 Satellite and Network Operations Support for a global satellite/terrestrial IP network infrastructure. As an integral part of our team, the technician’s responsibilities will include shift work, including some weekends and holidays. This position is based in TrustComm’s facilities at the Ellington Field Joint Reserve Military Base in Houston, Texas.
- Provide shift-based 7x24x365 continuous monitoring of network and satellite space segment performance providing Tier 1 and Tier 2 support for a global TDMA/IP network infrastructure. Take proactive and reactive actions to correct customer and infrastructure issues as required.
- Control access and performance of remote systems on designated satellites and transponders. Conduct cross-pole isolation, power balancing, and measurements.
- Remotely troubleshoot VSAT systems utilizing iDirect systems and software.
- Respond to customer trouble calls, on a basic and intermediate level, to analyze, diagnose and resolve the problem.
- Build, analyze, modify, and load remote options files in iDirect networks.
- Resolve customer issues related to broadband IP communication via satellite transmission; support complex system installations and startup at customer sites.
- Monitor iDirect TDMA equipment configurations and network performance, in real-time, and report conditions and irregularities to the team lead.
- Assist in the implementation of short and long-term standards, policies and procedures for meeting service SLAs and Quality Assurance metrics through interaction with internal and external stakeholders of the system.
- Prepare reports on network utilization, performance and activity as required.
- Open and track trouble tickets using IssueTrak to resolve network and/or remote terminal issues maintaining timely and accurate records.
- Analyze and resolve end user hardware and software issues in a timely and accurate manner; providing end user training as required.
- Respond to emergency network outages in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Administer all equipment, hardware and software upgrades, install and configure satellite RF, IF, and network equipment.
- Develop, implement, and maintain IP over satellite TDMA and SCPC networks.
- Coordinate staging, migrations and upgrades of the system. Maintain awareness of service changes with vendors and other stakeholders.
- Perform regular (preventive) and corrective maintenance to satellite antenna systems to include RF and IF components, IFL distributions systems, satellite hub servers, databases, and network devices. Coordinate with other team members for maintenance involving other portions of the system.
- Identify performance issues and recommend/implement corrections. Identify alarm correlations and appropriate response actions.
- Maintain System and Customer configuration documentation using industry best practices to meet customer objectives, while maintaining the security and integrity of the data, system, and network. Implement change management support procedures.
- Provide timely and accurate reports for analysis and growth planning of the system. Including support user training and documentation and provide technical assistance for post-implementation support issues.
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the missions, values and culture of the organization.
- Participate in staying current in job knowledge with education opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree with 3-5 years experience, or 7 years direct experience related to the required skills specified.
- Candidate must be able travel both domestically and internationally. Travel is projected at less than 10%, but member can voluntarily participate in long-term Field Service deployments at deployed pay rate.
- Active in-scope DoD Secret clearance; or the ability to obtain and maintain U.S. Government DoD Secret Clearance; Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge:
- Ability to work on-call shifts, including some weekends and holidays, troubleshoot and resolve technical issues under pressure; previous experience in infrastructure support or NOC/Operations environment is preferred
- Knowledge of satellite network design concepts, VSAT and IP networking
- Knowledge of fixed and mobile satellite terminals
- Proficient in troubleshooting techniques and test equipment such as Spectrum Analyzers and Power Meters
- At least 2-years of experience operating iDirect TDM/TDMA VSAT systems
- Good customer relations and communication skills are required
- Proven experience with Linux, MySQL, Radius, DNS and IDS desired
- Knowledge of database administration and script development is a plus
- Solid background of Cisco IOS and networking (TCP/IP, IPSEC, Routing and Firewalls), WAN and LAN technologies is required. Networking certification (CCNA, Network+, etc.) a plus
- Familiarity with tools used in monitoring network (SolarWinds, Spectrum Analyzer, M&C, etc.)
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Open and responsive to change and demonstrates a commitment to the process of continuous improvement by identifying and responding actively and with sensitivity to the needs of all customers
TrustComm is the premier global provider of innovative, secure satellite communications (SATCOM) application solutions.
We uniquely combine extensive satellite access and expansive terrestrial capacity with highly effective applications to deliver best-fit, custom end-to-end solutions. For customers requiring instant, robust and easily deployable connectivity, our solutions provide maximum reliability across a wide range of applications.
From broadband Internet access, VoIP and voice, video conferencing and data communications for business continuity to emergency response, tactical field deployment and temporary usage, TrustComm delivers the ideal satellite communications solution.
TrustComm provides paramount services, supported by a highly experienced engineering team that is dedicated to setting industry standards, developing secure networks and delivering unparalleled customer service.
The only satellite communications provider with its own network infrastructure and 24/7 primary Network Operations Center located on a secure military base, TrustComm’s unparalleled global network, industry experience, ISO 9001:2015 registered customer satisfaction processes and engineering expertise exceeds the security and reliability standards of our customers.
if interested, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.